$8.5 million settlement for the family of an 18-year-old student who was electrocuted in an industrial accident, which occurred at the Williamson Free School of Mechanical Trades.
We successfully prosecuted negligence claims against the school for failure to: properly train and supervise, appreciate electrical hazards, provide appropriate safety equipment, have appropriate first aid training and failure to have defibrillators present.
As part of the settlement, we insisted that improved safety standards were adopted by the school including that all current and new students receive CPR and first aid training. The settlement also required the school to install defibrillators. The school was also required to provide all students working in the power plant with ground fault circuit interrupters (GFCIs) which trip a short circuit and prevent electrocution.
In addition, our firm insisted that the school hire a top safety expert to audit all practices at the school, address all safety deficiencies, recommend adoption and implementation of appropriate safety policies and procedures throughout the school.